Friday, May 26, 2006

Hysteriosis

Apparently, I cannot be trusted with a worry-free pregnancy. Even though everything was fine on Wednesday, I am determined to obsess about possible contaminates, inordinate vomiting, and the general state of the world. Last night, Scholar and I went to a hamburger joint. I had a burger and some delicious fries, which I supplemented with blue cheese dressing. This is a favorite combination of mine. I haven't had it in forever, because I read in one of my pregnancy books that soft cheeses, like brie and bleu, can carry a bacteria called listeria (hey -- doesn't that sound like a children's book). Last night, I broke down and had a small cupful of dressing. I even asked at the front counter if the dressing was pasteurized. I found out that it was a commercial salad dressing, Ken's, but the ingredient label didn't say if it was pasteurized or not.

I chanced it. I know it was irresponsible, but damn! Those fries were good. I kept thinking, "It's a commercial salad dressing. It's not homemade. What are the chances that it's even real bleu cheese, for god's sake?"

I am a terrible mother.

Anyway, we also went to an ice cream place and had frozen custard. And when I came home about an hour later, I literally puked up my toenails. It was mostly frozen custard, seasoned with bits of hamburger (aren't you glad you read my blog?). But afterward, I felt much better.

This morning, I came down and watched some Discovery Channel. Very first thing on was a story about a mother who lost a baby at 4 months because of listeria.

Oh. Great.

Of course, it's more likely that I engaged in chunk propulsion because I ate too much fast food. But that would be rational thinking, folks -- a subject at which I have never excelled. I'm much more likely to jump to the worst possible conclusion.

I am not so much Wonder Woman as Worry Wart.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You know women smoke crack and stay pregnant? Not that I'm recommending it or anything, just saying.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I run a website that lists ttc, expecting, and new parent bloggers to help us all find one another. I have added your blog to the due date listings. If you would like for me to remove the link to your blog or if I need to correct any information, please do let me know.

My website is Babes in Blogland and my email address is my3monkeys at gmail dot com.

Thank you and congratulations again

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ate heavenly Bologna almost every day for lunch. For some odd reason it tasted like Filet Mignon, darn pregnancy hormones. I would go into fits of hysteria too just like you did over Blue Cheese. I asked my doctor aboutb it and he said that warning is for people who store there food outside in the sun for days!!

And I agree w/ c.potts....prior to the birth of my babe, I worked in Adoption and saw (*)women who actually did smoke crack everyday have very healthy babies.

Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy!!

*not to stereotype any of my amazing birthmothers, a majority of them took perfect care of their babies while pregnant.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home